Thursday 1 January 2015

FMP - Final Major Project

Project idea:

My Zombie Twin Sister

Start of idea: http://animationstudentblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/summer-project-is-go.html





Kim: I'm not dead! I mean…I'm sort of dead. A little bit dead. Teeny weeny bit dead, but not like…dead dead. I can talk and remember things. 

Sophie: You're still dead…

Kim: If you want to get technical, I'm the undead! Un-dead, which means, not actually dead.

Sophie: No, it means once was dead, now is a walking corpse of said dead person.

Kim: Shut up…look, come on, let me in!

Sophie: You're dead!

Kim: I'm not dead! *arm falls off*

Sophie: Your arms off.

Kim: It's a flesh wound! Heh, did you see what I did there?

Sophie: Clever. Still no, you're still dead


*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 16/01/15

Module handbook

17 Week Production Schedule:-

Your final major project will need to have a customised production pipeline based on a seventeen week* production schedule for you to complete your film by the module delivery deadline of:
12:00, noon on FRIDAY 22nd MAY 2015. (*Remember – this 17 weeks INCLUDES weekends and University holiday time)

If you are unsure about your schedule needs, it is your responsibility to arrange a tutorial to discuss the detail of your production pipeline and delivery schedule.

PRE-PRODUCTION

Once you have identified a subject for your project - construct a half page synopsis outlining your idea and proposed treatment.
Ask yourself:
What is my film idea? 
Who is the Audience for my film? 
Will the target audience understand / care about my film? 
What are my career goals? 
Does my FMP idea support my career goals? 
Is it a stepping stone towards my goals? 
How will I achieve my goal(s) in the time given? 
Are my expectations realistic? 
Could I simplify my project further?

It would be naive to assume that you can do everything to complete your project – on your own. The commercial animation industries rely upon collaboration to create the majority of work. Creative collaboration and working with others are vital, lifelong skills that you will need to develop throughout your career.

ANIMATION DIRECTION 

The next priority is to put together a team to assist you in realising your project. What additional skills do you require from your team to help you make your best work?

Create a crew list, noting any skill requirements you have as well as estimated number of hours / roles required for the successful completion of your project. This should include your own hours too.
Manage your expectations - is it achievable? 
Create a resources list: - what materials and equipment will you need?
List dates of when you require them. Book your resources early.
Character & dialogue based projects If your project is character, lip synch dialogue or voice-over led, then one of your leading priorities in weeks 1 – 3 will be:
To finalise the script. 
To identify voice performance actor(s).

Pre-Production Deadline: FRIDAY 20th FEBRUARY 2015
(Feedback tutorial sessions will be held in the following week.)

AUDIO PRODUCTION: creative priority or something to be ignored?

It might be a natural response to place the emphasis of your work flow on the visual/moving elements but this will be problematic – leaving audio composition feeling like an unfinished afterthought.
As 50% of any cinematic experience is sound, audio needs to take a priority within your production schedule.
Between 23rd February and 6th March you will need to record your sound ready for Audio Sign Off.
If you plan to include Lip Synch in your production then a key priority during this phase will also be the creation of dope sheets, breaking down the phonetics of your dialogue before you begin.

Staff will listen to the audio track combined with the Animatic and identify any issues in advance of Animation production.
Character Design(s) – should also be presented for sign-off too.

Audio Deadline: Friday 6th March 2015

ANIMATION PRODUCTION

Once you have sign-off on PRE-PRODUCTION, AUDIO & ANIMATIC phases you will need to commence with Animation Production.
8 weeks of Production:
Animation Production Deadline: Friday 1st May 2015

POST-PRODUCTION – 04th – 22nd MAY 2015
Editing, effects, sound tweaks, titles, credits etc. Ensure you leave enough time to add a professional finish to your work.
3 weeks of Post Production:

FINAL MODULE Deadline: 12:00, noon FRIDAY 22nd MAY 2015

*********************************************************************************
*UPDATE: 24/01/15

Pre-Production:-

What is my film idea? -
My idea is: Twin sisters, one is human, the other a zombie. The zombie sister wants to convince the human sister that she is not like the other zombies and to let her into the house.

Who is the Audience for my film? -
Possibly teenage to young adult.

Will the target audience understand / care about my film? -
Yes, the idea is simple and will be easy to understand.

What are my career goals? -
To continue to work in 3D/CGI and do more work rigging, texturing and animating. To also carry on my design and better my design process and time.

Does my FMP idea support my career goals? -
I believe so as it deals with the 3D/CGI aspect of my interests and the path I wish to go down. It also gives me the opportunity to work with others who are looking to go the same way and increase the same skills/mindset.

Is it a stepping stone towards my goals? -

How will I achieve my goal(s) in the time given? -

Are my expectations realistic? -

Could I simplify my project further? -
I rather think my project is simple, but at the same time not too simple. Things should never be too simple. However, I do have backup plans for if certain things are not done in time. If my characters are not modelled, rigged and textured in time, I have a free model to use, one that I shall merely alter its materials to give the appearance of the two main characters. I may also not texture a lot of the props or backgrounds to give more importance and significance to the characters.













*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 31/01/15

Script 1




















“Deadbeat Sister” Screenplay
By
Gemma Birks































EXT. NEGLECTED LOOKING NEIGHBOURHOOD STREET – MORNING (9 A.M.)

We descend upon what looks to be a derelict street. The houses visible look unkempt and broken, and there are a few run down cars littering driveways and part of the road that turns and ends in a wide circle.

One building, on the left, has a red front door and we pan (truck) sideways, slipping through the wall at the top floor.

INT. SOPHIE’S BEDROOM – NEXT

The bedroom we enter is messy. A pile of food cans is stacked against one wall, some of them open and empty.

Make up on a dressing table illustrates that it’s a girl’s bedroom, and a corkboard of photos shows the two main characters, Sophie and Kim. They are twin sisters. Kim is wearing dark clothing, has dyed her hair purple and has a nose and ear piercing, whereas Sophie is a natural brunette with a slightly different hairstyle, wearing light clothing.

There are some bullet shells and ammo on the floor, a sharp machete sits on a chair and a handgun rests on a made up bed. Beside the bed is a Winchester propped up against the sill of the bedroom window nearby.

Sophie (seventeen) is sitting with her back against the wall with the bedroom window, the Winchester to her left. She has her knees bent up to her chest and her arms wrapped around them, her head bowed, looking dejected.   

EXT. SOPHIE’S BEDROOM WINDOW – NEXT

A crushed can hits the glass loudly and bounces away with a clatter as it falls to the floor.

INT. SOPHIE’S BEDROOM – NEXT

Sophie looks up at noise and frowns, getting up to look out of the window slowly.

EXT. NEGLECTED LOOKING NEIGHBOURHOOD STREET – NEXT

Kim (seventeen) is standing out on the street, hunched over and swaying, her head tilted aside. Her skin is a pale greenish colour. There is a bloody cut on her left eyebrow and a gash on her right thigh. Her clothes are dark and splattered on the left side of her chest and spread over her right shoe is blood.

She turns and then suddenly springs up, stretching out her back with a wince, cracking her neck, and knuckles with a sigh of relief. She spots Sophie looking out of the window and smiles. Her teeth bloodied and her eyes milky white, showing more proof that she is a zombie.

Sophie looks surprised for a moment and then sighs and leans on the windowsill, looking unimpressed and bored. Sophie arches an eyebrow in greeting.

Kim waves and clears her throat. When she goes to speak her tongue falls out of her mouth and drops to her feet with a wet splat. Kim looks down at it and then huffs, stamping her foot.

Kim tries to put the tongue back into her mouth but as soon as she tries to speak again, it falls out.

Sophie looks somewhat amused.

Kim then tries to speak in sign language (subtitles show the signed dialogue), but Sophie doesn’t understand and shows her puzzlement with a shrug.

Kim sighs and crosses her arms, and after a moment she tries again, pointing to herself and then the front door of the house expectantly.

Sophie shakes her head and mimes that she is crazy and that she’s dead, gesturing at the tongue on the floor as proof.

Kim frowns and rolls her eyes, shaking her head in sarcastic disbelief. She motions to herself and back to a wandering zombie nearby, gesturing back and forth to explain the differences between them.

Sophie looks between them, unconvinced.

Kim huffs, petulantly, and stamps up to the zombie where she proceeds to take the mick out of the way it walks, stands and looks around, showing Sophie that she, herself, is doing none of those things.

Sophie shakes her head, unmoved, and signals to Kim that she has the same complexion, eyes, and torn clothes as the other zombie before she slips back into her bedroom.  

EXT. NEGLECTED LOOKING NEIGHBOURHOOD STREET – NEXT
Montage of Kim trying different ways to sway her sister into letting her inside is choreographed to ‘ ‘ by .

EXT. NEGLECTED LOOKING NEIGHBOURHOOD STREET – DAY (11 A.M)

Kim is looking sullen and depressed, sitting on the curb in front of the house.

After a few second we focus on the door as it opens and shows Sophie standing at the threshold. Kim, sensing something, slowly turns to look back.

Sophie sighs and smiles, motions for Kim to come over with a shy tilt of her head.

Kim beams, leaps to her feet and runs over. She slows when she is within reach of Sophie and hesitates before embracing her sister softly, closing her eyes and smiling with a sigh when Sophie returns the hug.

After a few beats, Kim’s eyes snap open and she bites into the shoulder of her sister, shoving her to the ground in an animalistic hunger. Sophie gasps in pain and surprise, her face twisted in betrayal.


Kim pulls back and grins with bloody lips. She points at Sophie and then herself before entwining their hands together, gesturing that they will be together forever now.

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 01/02/15

Create a crew list, noting any skill requirements you have as well as estimated number of hours / roles required for the successful completion of your project. This should include your own hours too.

Gemma Birks (Me) - Animation Director/Modeller/Script Writer/Storyboard Artist
- Modelling (Maya)
- Character Design
- Background Design/Environment Design
- Script Writing
- Video Editing
Hours estimated:

Robert Birks - Lead 3D Artist
- Modelling (3DSMax)
- Unwrapping
- Level Design
- Unreal Engine 3 & 4
Hours estimated: 24 Hrs+

Tom Moffat - 3D Artist
-Modelling (3DSMax)
- 3D animation
- 2D animation
Hours estimated:

Joshua Clay - 3D Artist
-Modelling (Maya)
Hours estimated:

Ciaran Slavin - 3D Artist
- Modelling
Hours estimated:


Robert Mcloughlin – 2D Artist 
- Character Design/Development 
- Video Editing 
- Storyboard Artist
Hours estimated:


Resources list:

Maya 2014/15
3DSMax 2015
After Effects
Photoshop

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 12/02/15

With the weather seemingly getting milder I have finally been able to get my fingers/hands working properly and model my main character(s) without being in constant pain all the time.





*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 25/02/15

I'm creating a mock up of what I want and where for a 3D animatic/Pre-vis of my animation, using the model Mery: https://www.facebook.com/meryproject


Pre-vis/animatic: https://vimeo.com/121364387

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 03/03/15

Because of being bed ridden with flu and other health issues, work has been slow, not helped by technical difficulties. Therefore, I have started again, modelling the head of my character(s).










*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 07/03/15

There are many props in my animation. Some of them are being created by second years listed here: http://animationstudentblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/assistant-animator-leadership.html

Other props/sets will be created by me.








*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 09/03/15 - 12/03/15

Just in case, I will be making some backup props. Better to have too much than too few.

Backup bed







Comb, Brush and handheld Mirror. The bristles of the brush are yet to be made, but the comb and mirror are all but done.







*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 14/03/15








*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 17/03/15

Backup Wardrobe:












*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 21/03/15

After a tutorial at Uni on the 20th where Paul took a look at my work, I was advised to delete the top half of my model and do it again. And so I did!




*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 22/03/15

Picture frame:




Cork-board:




Cans:







Ammo/bullets:








*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 11/04/15

Outside set:



*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 14/04/15



*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 16/04/15








Although I was told my head model was okay but merely needed more edge loops, I decided to instead start it again, paying more attention to edge loops and detail with aid from a tutorial that I was introduced to via my lecturer Paul.






*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 17/04/15





Looks like an alien head without ears, hair and texture.





Ear time!

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 21/04/15














The ear may look strange, but that is mainly because of the default lighting/shading on the scene and the fact it is a cartoon ear. If I were to change it, I may come back to it later but time is running out and I cannot spend too long on it. The ear is not meant to be detailed.

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 22/04/15

After discussing where I am with my work with a fellow classmate, I was told that perhaps I should stop modelling and use the free backup rig "Mery" instead, and crack on and get some animating sorted. I agreed with them, seeing as I had done nothing but modelling for quite a while now, technical difficulties as well as health problems and my own lack of knowledge, keeping my progress at a crawl. Therefore I will leave my model as it is for now and get my animation done using "Mery".

I will no abandon my model though, I shall come back to it and finish it! I want to make my own models/characters and this is good practice. Also I might retry the animation with the finished characters once it's done and see how different it looks!

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 23/04/15

https://vimeo.com/125812950

Small clip of my animation that I personally like. It is slightly more polished than the scene in my animatic and I hope it shows.

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 05/05/15


Polishing the animation I already had in the animatic, as well as adding more and importing objects into the scene. I also found out how to alter the colour of "Mery", her skin and clothes, and changed them to fit what colour my own character(s) would have worn if I had finished them.

The materials used are basic Maya materials, such as Lambert and Blinn etc. To make my own or use Mentalray materials/textures would mean extra rendering time and I do not think they are fully needed. The animation and the characters are meant to be cartoony with base/basic colours, so the Maya materials suited me just fine.

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 06/05/15



Rendering the scenes is still far longer than I would have liked, and without being able to go into Uni to use the PCs there (I am stuck at home due to health issues) I am forced to think of an alternative. I shall be playblasting the animation so I have something to give in on deadline, then I will render/work afterwards to get the animation ready for the Degree Show.

*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 19/05/15

I have been struggling with the montage of the animation for as long as I came up with the idea for it. However, I came up with an idea to have the montage in 2D, to make it easier and to give me more freedom, and today, after speaking to my brother who gave me the idea of having each bit of the montage a different art style, I came up with three ideas of very simple 2D animation.




*********************************************************************************

*UPDATE: 20/05/15

With everything as finished as I can make it, I edited it all together on After Effects and asked a fellow second year, Robert Mcloughlin to help me with the sound, as I had no idea about it and had no help with it up until this point. It is partly my own fault, because I had completely forgotten sound/music for my animation whilst I worked, as my animation has no dialogue of any kind and I had struggled before to think of the correct music that can run side by side with it.
The main person I often go to for personal, created music, was not able to help me because of money troubles and outdated equipment.



















No comments:

Post a Comment